We all have heard that reading the small script is important. If you have moved a couple of times before and you already have a lot of experience, you may think you know all about the tenancy agreement and you don’t need to go through it again and again every time. This kind of thinking is wrong. Although there are some “standard” clauses you can’t be 100% sure that there are not some “uncommon”. Check out our tips and follow them for smooth rental life:
- Read before you sign. Take the time to read carefully every word, even if there is such option ask the landlord or the agent to hand you the contract at least a day before the signing. This way you will be able to read, understand and discuss the contract if necessary with your roommates or family.
- What should include the agreement? Both parties should be represented with all names, addresses and contact information. It should say strictly how much you will pay monthly, on what date or in what period, how you should pay it. How much is the deposit and when and how it can be withheld. It should include the exact address of the property and the term of the leasing.
- What obligations should be mentioned? Does the landlord have performed pre tenancy sanitising? Which bills you pay and if some of them are included in the rent? Can you invite friends; have pet or other similar issues? Is there changes like repainting that can be made by you and on your decision or everything should happen with knowledge and agreement of the landlord?
- Can and when the contract can be changed or updated? Is there clause that mentions force major obstacles or situations that can end the agreement before the term is over? Does it works only in benefit of the landlord or it can be useful for the tenant too?
- Seek for advice, if something is unclear or if you don’t understand certain aspects of the deal.
- Who will perform small repairs around the house and on whose expenses? Should you call and pay to plumber for leaking tube, for example, or this is responsibility to the landlord?
- Are there some specific activities that you should perform? Home cleaning with special abstergents or in certain way?